The classic white shirt is a timeless favourite. It can be cut slim to contour the body or roomy to allow for movement and comfort for a busy work day. It wears well from day to night, long-sleeved or short. It’s crisp and modern. Everyone should have one – but how should they wear it and what should they pair it with?
Design a white shirt YOU readers will be able to mix and match in three ways – a weekend look, an office look and an evening look. Your presentation must consist of three outfits and can be for men or women, using one classic white shirt design as the basis of the look. Your presentation must be no larger than A3 and include all labels, notes and a brief summary of the outfits.
Attach a cover page to the front of the collective submission that includes the following information: name, surname, physical address, city, province, postal code, home telephone number, cellphone number, e-mail address, ID number, age, date of birth.
HOW TO ENTER
Every entry must include the following:
1 A creative portfolio based on the brief (see box below).
2 An 800-word essay stating why you believe you’re the most deserving entrant. The essay should also show that you understand what the three-year diploma entails and that you have some understanding of the issues facing the fashion industry today, globally and locally.
3 Accompanying official documentation (see terms and conditions).
WHAT WILL I BE JUDGED ON AND BY WHOM?
You’ll be judged on your creativity, versatility, style, attention to detail and presentation by a panel of three judges made up of a media partner, fashion designer and fashion educator.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1. This competition starts on 11 May 2012 and closes on 28 June 2012.
2. Entries must be sent to YOU, PO Box 7167, Roggebaai 8012, to reach us by 28 June 2012. Ensure you complete all the submission requirements.
3.1 Eligibility for entrance: you have to be a South African citizen in possession of a valid South African ID book; you must be over 18 or will turn 18 before the end of 2013; you have to be in possession of a National Senior Certificate (NSC), National Vocational Certificate (NCV), FET Level 4 certificate, Grade 12 or recognised equivalent qualification certified by Umalusi, or international equivalent examination board qualification. On your school-leaving qualification you must have achieved (1) a minimum achievement rating code of three in four recognised NSC 20-credit subjects; (2) a minimum achievement rating code of three in English Home Language or English First Additional Language or English Second Additional Language.
3.2 You must submit a certified copy of your SA ID book, a certified copy of your National Senior Certificate, National Vocational Certificate, FET Level 4 certificate, Grade 12 or recognised equivalent qualification certified by Umalusi, or international equivalent examination board qualification; a letter of motivation written according to the brief stipulated and in English; and a portfolio of creative evidence stipulated according to the brief.
4. Entrants may NOT be currently enrolled in a fashion qualification on NQF level 5 or higher (formal post-matric fashion design qualification).
5. Entrants may not be concurrently enrolled in any other study programme from 2013-2015.
6. Entrants must be able to enrol for the full-time diploma programme from 2013-2015.
7. The prize includes registration and class fees towards the Diploma in Fashion Design programme for the 2013, 2014 and 2015 academic years. Should the student discontinue, be unsuccessful in progressing to the next level of study or change course of study at any time the prize will be fully forfeited.
8. Materials and studio equipment costs, transport, living expenses and any additional costs incurred are excluded from the prize.
9. A representative of Elizabeth Galloway Academy of Fashion Design, a media partner and fashion designer will decide which eligible entrant to award the prize to no later than 16 July 2012.
10. The winner will be notified telephonically by no later than 16 July 2012.
11. The winner will be announced in the 2 August 2012 issue of YOU.
12. The winner has to present him/herself on an agreed day over the weekend of 21-22 July 2012 at the Elizabeth Galloway Academy of Fashion Design campus in Stellenbosch to claim the prize.
13. The winner agrees to adhere to the student code of conduct at the academy during the three years of study (obtainable from the student liaison officer at the academy).
14. The winner agrees to avail him/herself for events arranged by the academy during the three years of study.
15. The prize is not transferrable, may not be deferred and cannot be exchanged for cash or any other item.
16. Registration dates are subject to change without prior notification.
17. The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
18. The judges reserve the right to ask for proof of authenticity or to test the entrant in order to be sure the work was indeed done by the entrant.
19. Elizabeth Galloway Academy of Fashion Design (Pty) Ltd (hereafter referred to as Elizabeth Galloway) reserves the right to keep the details of all entrants.
20. Elizabeth Galloway reserves the right to use entrants’ portfolios or part thereof for academy promotional materials.
21. Elizabeth Galloway reserves the right to rescind the award if it is found, at any time before or after the announcement of the award, that the winner does not meet all the minimum requirements for entry into the three-year diploma programme.
22. Elizabeth Galloway further reserves the right to rescind the award if there’s reasonable suspicion there has been misrepresentation of the entrant at any point in the process or duration of the course.
23. Elizabeth Galloway reserves the right to not award this prize if no deserving eligible candidates enter or if the winner is disqualified such as in the cases stipulated in points 21 and 22.
24. Financial need and having the obstacle of financial constraints may also serve as part motivation but this prize will not be awarded solely based on financial need.