Eligibility for application
With effect from 1 January 2011, the following minimum requirements are applicable for prospective students:
- National Senior Certificate (NSC), FET Level 4 certificate, Grade 12 or recognised equivalent qualification certified by Umalusi, or international equivalent examination board.
- A minimum achievement rating code of three in four recognised NSC 20-credit subjects.
- A minimum achievement rating code of three in English Home Language or English First Additional Language or English Second Additional Language.
- Letter of motivation.
- Portfolio of creative evidence.
|NSC achievement levels|
|Rating codes||Rating description||Marks as a percentage|
|7||Outstanding achievement||80 – 100 %|
|6||Meritorious achievement||70 – 79 %|
|5||Substantial achievement||60 – 69 %|
|4||Adequate achievement||50 – 59 %|
|3||Moderate achievement||40 – 49 %|
|2||Elementary achievement||40 – 49 %|
|1||Non-achievement||0 – 29 %|
Figure 1: NSC achievement levels
- NSC 20-credit subjects The designated NSC 20-credit subjects include: Accounting; Agricultural Sciences; Business Studies; Dramatic Arts; Economics; Engineering Graphics and Design; Geography; History; Consumer Studies; Information Technology; Languages (one language of learning and teaching at a higher-education institution and two other recognised language subjects); Life Sciences; Mathematics; Mathematical Literacy; Music; Physical Sciences; Religion Studies; and Visual Arts.
- Subject requirementsThere are no specific Grade-12 subject prerequisites for admission to study at the Academy; however, subjects including languages, art, textiles and design are considered an advantage.
- English-proficiency requirementsAdmittance to the programme is subject to the applicant’s proficiency in English as the language of instruction at the academy. A student may be considered to have attained an adequate level of proficiency where he/she has attained a minimum achievement rating code of three in English Home Language or English First Additional Language or English Second Additional Language. Where a student fulfils the minimum entrance requirements and is proficient in English, this will not necessarily ensure admission to study at the academy.
- Annual student intakeGiven the technical and theoretical requirements of professions within the fashion design, clothing and textile industry, annual intake to the academy’s programme is restricted to an upper limit of 75 students in order to ensure sufficient facilities, quality education and lecturer support through guided learning and supervision.